Friday, November 9, 2007

These are a few of my favorite.... movies.

I am a movie lover and if you have the opportunity to go to my apartment, you will have no doubt. I collect DVDs and VCDs of different kinds of movies. Here is a list of some of my most favorite films:

  1. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - Ang Lee's best film. A hybrid of HK wuxia films and western style sentimentality. Every movement flows, every dialogue a poetry.
  2. Moulin Rouge - My favorite musical created by the visionary Baz Luhrmann. The films is very energetic and fresh that no matter how many times I see it, it always brings a smile to my face.
  3. The House - A film I rediscovered and loved the first time and second time I watched it. Wonderful screenplay, direction, acting and editing.
  4. 2001: A Space Odyssey - The film that inspired Star Wars. Kubrick's opus stands the test of time and looks great 29 years after its original release. Forget the story, just be astounded and awed by the wonderful special effects.
  5. Delicatessen - Jean Pierre Jeunet (pre-Amelie) working with Mark Caro. A funny film set in post-war France.
  6. Cidade de Deus - A powerful film about a place as told through the lives of the people who live in it.
  7. Gone with the Wind - Beautifully photographed. The colors alive after more than 50 years since its original theatrical release (thank God for Technicolor!). Almost 4 hours long but not a dull moment. After all, tomorrow is another day.
  8. Casablanca - Hmmm, watch it again, Sam.

Someday when I have the time, I may be able to expand this list and be more concrete on why I love these films.

No comments: