Friday, November 9, 2007

On Writing

Having just recently watched The Hours, I was reminded of what I always wanted to write and how words always seem to not enough to express what I feel. It seems like human vocabulary will always be inadequate in expressing and writing down our experiences.

Even Shakespeare's works is just a drop of water in the Pacific Ocean of human experiences.

I am also reminded of Douglas Adam's books. In his book (in the Hitchhikers' Guide to Galaxy), he says that the universe has no literature since literature supposedly mirrors life and there is no mirror large enough to reflect the universe.

When writing, as when working, my mind always wanders such that what I put in words almost always meanders. I cannot get focus.

Again, I stop here. I would like to claim that I can not put a sensible conclusion to this blog because I have the writer's block. But then I am not a writer. At least not a writer of belles lettres.
* * * * *



. . . I wanted to be a writer, that's all.
I wanted to write about it all.
Everything that happens in a moment.
. . . All our feelings - yours and mine.
The history of it.
Who we once were.
Everything in the world.
Everything mixed up.
Like it's all mixed up now.
And I failed.
I failed.
No matter what you start up with, it ends up being so much less.



- Richard Brown, The Hours

No comments: